Environmental Conservation & Reducing the Carbon Footprint is the need of the hour
Paper / Cotton or Plastic bags ?
- The answer might surprise you
David Tyler a professor of chemistry at the University of Oregon who has examined the research on the environmental impact of bag use, tells us that the answer depends on what environmental problem one cares about.
Is global warming more important than toxicity?
Some of our green choices can be surprising when you consider their effects from cradle to grave”that is, the total environmental impact from the point a product is created from raw materials, through its manufacturing, distribution and consumer use, ending with its disposal or recycling.
People look at [paper] and say it’s degradable, therefore it’s much better for the environment, but it’s not in terms of climate change impact,
The global-warming impact of most things made out of plastic is far smaller than, say, something made out of cotton.
How are traditional plastic or Oxo-degradable bags detrimental to our environment?
- Traditional or Conventional plastic bags: are made from a non-renewable resource, When discarded they simply break into smaller and smaller pieces over hundreds of years, inflicting untold amounts of damage to our natural ecosystems.
- Oxo-degradable plastic bags: are definitely not beneficial, when they are discarded and they come in contact with the Sun UV rays they just become tinier and tinier pieces of microplastic quicker, and still pose serious threats to the ecosystem and marine life
Microplastics enter the food chain lower down, getting eaten by smaller species and then continuing to make their way up the food chain as these smaller species are consumed.
Compostable packaging material is just like a fruit or vegetable peel, so nature won’t even notice it.
- The Banana fruit is packed by nature in a protective multi-layer peel. When discarded the Banana peel decomposes and leaves no toxic residue; the compost left behind can be used for plant growth. 100% of the banana peel returns to nature.
- Likewise Compostable Films / Bags are a Bio Based alternative for Conventional Plastics as they seamlessly integrate into nature’s carbon cycle by balancing the rate of carbon release with the rate of carbon fixation.